UPDATES, CLINIC, & COLLEGE

Kristin's clinic visit went well once she got there....Her appointment was scheduled for 3:00. School dismisses at 2:30 which should be plenty of time for her to make it to Renown. By 2:50 I began to wonder where she was so I called the clinic to see if little Miss Independent went by herself.(more about that later) They had not seen her. Shortly thereafter she called and told me she had been getting help for her math class and forgot. Once we got there she had an iv push of vincristine in her hand and all chemo has resumed with the addition of prednisone for the next five days. yuck......does not do this med justice or really any chemo for that matter. I will leave it up to your own imaginations to come up with a more appropriate word. Her next appointment is in four weeks and hopefully it will be smooth sailing until then.

She is counting down the days until graduation. Kristin was accepted into BYU, HOT DOG, YIPEE, WOO HOO, and has plans to attend the summer session to get a head start.(more on that later also) Does BYU know what accepting her has meant? The night she found out she was accepted was when she had her last clinic visit with the meds infiltrating into her arm. Not a good day. That evening as she lay in my bed, I checked the website to see if there had been any updates on her admission status. She had checked earlier that morning and there had been none. I logged on and immediately noticed a status change. My first impulse was to click on the update immediately...I was good and resisted the urge. I called to Kristin and let her know. After gathering her from under the covers, I helped her to the computer. She sat down, clicked, and wept. Sweet tears rolled down her tired cheeks as she smiled and said, " I got in!" My joy for her was unmeasured. From the beginning of this nightmare, college has come to signify hope for a bright,NORMAL future to her. We have spent many a nights talking about college, her potential, and aspirations. With all of college's promises, it has been a constant for her in this not too constant world she has endured so bravely. I am not sure if that makes sense to any of you, but the pursuit of requirements, testing, essays, grades and admissions has been a huge motivating factor for her. The prize is the promises of dreams fulfilled, and a future filled with hope and new beginnings.
What could bring a child with cancer more hope than a future filled with the imaginings of a world without illness?
Does the admissions committee know what accepting this child has really meant to her? I'm not sure if they ever will, but Darren and I do.

Comments

The "Y" is going to be so much fun for her! How great to have that out of her mind! She must be a smarty pants to get in! YEaH! Congrats~~~

Popular posts from this blog

The Beginning

GO GO SPECIAL K!

UPDATE