Have You done Any Good Today?



Eric, Kristin, Cody and Wyatt
Look at that hair!!!!!!!

Well, Kristin's lp with intrathecal methotrexate and push of vincristine went well. Her labs were up, consequently her daily oral meds were increased to 75%. This is what we expected. I am keeping my fingers crossed this will not make her counts go in the you-know-what again. One truism throughout maintenance is that she cannot tolerate the oral meds at 100%.
Lets not go there again please.
After our doctors consulted with the head of the study that Kristin is on, it was determined that she would be given vincristine at only 50% and then increased to 75% to give her feet some time to recover. Vincristine has been brutal on them. (If you could see them, you would be amazed that she can even walk) They need a rest and at only 50% the effects are still bad but not as crippling as when she is given a full dose. I hope that these side
effects are not permanent. We have been told that most likely they are not.
As much as we hate vincristine,
it is a necessary evil.

She was so happy to see familiar faces at the clinic in Reno. Isn't that strange....happy to see her oncologist and nurses? Never in my life would I have imagined that I would be saying this. But, I will tell you that her caregivers have taken on a very important role in our lives. Not only have they fought to eradicate the leukemia that has invaded Kristin's life, they have come to occupy a very special place in our hearts that only they can lay claim to. Kristin and the other precious children they treat are amazing to say the least. Their spirit and steadfast determination is humbling beyond words. If you have ever wondered if you can do any good in the world today, do something for them. It does not need to be accompanied by fanfare nor does it need to be extravagant. If given straight from the heart it will warm the heart of the recipient and lighten the very heavy burden they carry.

Warmly,
Leslie

P.S. All the gushy stuff aside, I was going through bills the past few days. I have a tendency to put them in one big pile for three months at a time and then start to go through them. One at a time, making phone calls, writing appeals, blahblahblah. This process is almost as painful as the chemo. I think I will frame the one with six figures.......





Comments

susieq said…
I love this picture of all the kids!! I miss you guys and hope everything is working out for Kristin! I think being positive is key and you all are doing a wonderful job! Thanks for keeping up to date!

Sue Lee

Popular posts from this blog

The Beginning

GO GO SPECIAL K!

UPDATE