DAN DUGAN'S "LIVE STRONG RIDE"

Here is an article that was in the RGJ about Dan Dugan. If you have read back, you will know that he was responsible for the young boys "Live Happy" soccer team. He is a passionate supporter to the cause! While Kristin was in the hospital, he personally came down to give her a beautifully framed Live Strong race number that he wore during the ride, along with his team Kristin shirt. Kristin was taken back by the gesture and comments on the picture hanging proudly in our family room often. She feels humbled at his generosity, sacrifice, and contribution to the fight! We are too.
thanks Dan!

Dan Dugan of Reno rode in the Livestrong Challenge on Oct. 26 in Austin, Texas. Dugan placed 129th overall out of the 1,583 riders in the 94-mile race, and 16th in his age group.


He finished the course in 4 hours, 46 minutes. Dugan rode in honor of Kristin Katich, a Galena High senior who is battling leukemia.
Lance Armstrong and his pack of pro cyclists led the annual race which raised more than $4 million for the Lance Armstrong Foundation. Dugan raised more than $6,000 in donations and pledges and was invited to attend the Appreciation Dinner the night before the race.
the following is an inspiring letter he wrote to Kristin after the race...I thought I would share this with all of you.

Kristin:

Attached are some photos taken after my finish in the Livestrong Challenge race in Austin, Texas this last Sunday (I felt better than I look!). I will have some more to send on to you in a while.

I raced very hard in your honor and in honor of my sister-in-law, who is currently going through radiation for breast cancer, and in memory of my brother-in-law, Steve, who suddenly died a few years ago from cancer.

The main messages from Lance Armstrong at the dinner on Saturday night were:
1. We will never give up the fight against cancer. Never. Not ever. Never.
2. You have to have 100% trust in your treatment team. That doesn’t mean you don’t ask questions or find your own answers or seek other opinions, but it does mean that you need to have faith that you can beat this and that your whole team is there with the same goal in mind.
3. You will never be alone in your personal fight.
4. Lance has asked us all to keep cancer research and prevention as top priorities in our communities, in our nation, and around the world.

Here are some facts from my weekend in Austin:
· The four Livestrong races around the country (Portland, San Jose, Philadelphia, and Austin) this year raised over $12 million for cancer research
· The Austin riders raised $4.1 million of that
· My local group of donors, who knew I was riding for you and Sharon and Steve, donated over $5,300.00, which was my personal goal for the year. Usually more donations come in as the month progresses. People here are behind you. I had a few donations from people I don’t even know, but who know you through Galena leadership. Even Mr. Brown and Ms. Cox donated!
· Lance is coming back to racing in order to spread the word about early detection and treatment around the world. He is convinced that as long as he is on his bike, his message will spread faster and farther. He is not even taking a salary from his team—he is just riding to spread the word.
· Lots of people asked about your shirt. Everyone loves the simplicity of the message. Everyone who asked told me to tell you to “Live strong” and they are thinking of you.
· There was a long series of hills between mile 40 and mile 70. My Reno training served me very well through those sections. At mile 70, however, I hit a rough time, legs cramping, lungs sucking for air. What I do at those times is think of people like you and Sharon and Steve and what you all are going through to just stay alive and then I finish with my saying, “Wah Wah Wah.” Wah Wah Wah means, “why are you whining about your pain right now—this is nothing compared to Kristin—shut up and pedal your bike.” I can always get past those rough spots when I employ the “Wah Wah Wah.”
· So, you pushed me to the finish:
o 90 miles in 4 hours and 46 minutes—averaging about 19 miles per hour
o 129th out of 1,583 riders
o 16th in my age group

I hope you can tell from this that the Livestrong Army is behind you. We are dedicated to getting you through your disease and dedicated to keeping the same thing from happening to anyone else. I was momentarily shocked by the news that Max delivered to me as I walked through the door about your set-back, but that changed very quickly to anger at the disease and a deeper resolve to keep the fight going.

What is something the Dugans can do for you or your family today? We will drop everything and do whatever needs to be done. Let us know.

Thank you for your courage. It inspires us all.
Remember the Mission statement for the Foundation: Unity is strength, Knowledge is power, Attitude is everything.
Keep fighting and keep defying the odds.

Dan Dugan

Comments

Amy Girl said…
Thanks - very inspiring!
Amy Girl said…
Oh, like the new look as well.

Popular posts from this blog

GO GO SPECIAL K!

The Beginning

UPDATE