ALL IS QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT

The last couple of weeks have been smooth sailing if you could say that. We have had no alarming lab reports nor complications for that matter. The most traumatic event was losing hair for the second time. It was beginning to grow back rather well when it fell out in a matter of three days. That was very hard for her and yet another reminder that we have lot more chemo ahead of us still. Our last dose of ARA-C is tonight. Last night as I was giving it to her, I finished what I thought was the last saline flush and hep lock. I looked down and saw the chemo syringe sitting there.... unused! The saline, heparin, and chemo syringes all look very similar. We had been talking about the book she is reading. In it they use heparin to commit murder. We had a good laugh as I injected the heparin into her. I had not been paying attention to detail like I should. So, I called down to Oakland and they told me what to do and that everything was okay. I do labs today and am eager to know what her counts will be.

Kristin loves her job at Buffalo Wild Wings. One day she exclaimed that she wanted to get a job. We drove around picking up applications. She walked into Buffalo W.W. and did not come right back out. I wondered if she was having an on the spot interview. Yep! She came out with a big smile across her face and said,"I start Tuesday." I asked if she told them her situation and she said no, but she did on her first day of training when they asked for her availability. She said,"I might have a problem with that sometimes. I have to go to Oakland every now and then for chemo and I will need those days off." They were very understanding. People were curious about her changing hair color and she just tells them like it is and answers their questions. We enjoy hearing her pick-up stories and one liners. Evidently she is being "hit on" just about every shift she works. Some of you may be wondering how she can do this........steroids! They made her feel like she could climb mountains. We do not know how long she can keep this up, but I can see how good it has been for her.

Please continue to keep her in your prayers. We are forever indebted to so many of you and look forward to the day when we will be able to give back all the love and support we have received.

Comments

Christy Dyer said…
Kristin, you are one amazing girl. Yesterday I was doing interviews with my new seminary students. I always ask them who has been influential in their lives. One of the girls,Aubrielle, said, "you know the girl with the dark hair who is getting chemo, I admire her because she is always happy and upbeat even though she is going through hard things." She hit the nail on the head you are an example to all you come in contact with!
Anonymous said…
Hi Kristin, I met you when you were about 10, you came to my home in Idaho with your Dad. Your Dad and I have been good friends for 33 years. He called me today to catch up on our lives, it's been a few years since we connected. We talked about our families, and he told me about you and your battle with leukemia.
I told your Dad I would pray for you. I had been shooting a wedding at place called Secrets Beach here on Kauai, it was a grey and rainy afternoon, I finished the shoot and packed up my gear. It's about a half mile hike back up to the road, it was dark and wet on the trail. As I walked I prayed for you, I have a daughter too, and I thought of her, and how hard it would be to watch her suffer through all that you have. I prayed for peace for you and your family, and for the strength you'll need to carry you through your treatments. I felt the spirit as I crested the trail and I looked back down towards the ocean to the beach I had just left.
And there it was, the heavens were opened, I witnessed the most beautiful sunset I have ever seen! It was for you Kristin, a sign that everything will be alright! Keep smiling God knows you and loves you! With love and Aloha, Bob Cox
http://jpgmag.com/photos/866659

Popular posts from this blog

The Beginning

GO GO SPECIAL K!

UPDATE