NOT SO STELLAR... :-(

"Mom, I have this sore throat, but don't worry, I can handle it," Kristin reported earlier in the week. Well, I have no doubt she knows exactly what to do and that she is more than capable. Unfortunately the unassuming sore throat turned into much more than anyone expected. While visiting her Grandma, the pain became severe and they went in for a strep test Friday afternoon. The test was negative and some meds were prescribed but by Saturday the pain became unbearable (on the handy dandy pain scale she put it at a 9, which is pretty bad) making it too difficult to swallow the meds, and fever reared its ugly head during a nap. A trip to the ER was necessary. Some iv pain meds, other "stuff", fluids and labs were ordered. I was anxious to see the numbers. (and yes, I am hundreds of miles away, but I know Kristin is wanting and learning to take on more of her care herself, it still is hard to be so far away) At first we were told that her WBC (white blood cell count) was 10!!!! Oh my word, really????? We have not seen those numbers since she was diagnosed and honestly, my stomach heaved! A bit later Kristin had the actual lab report in her hands. Here are the real numbers. WBC 6.3, HGB 10, PLATES 167. All within the normal range, although we have not seen a wbc over 6 for some time either. What it means is she is fighting some kind of infection, probably viral. They said she has ulcers which are covering the back of her throat, some on her tongue and uvula. I happened to be at the Hansen's cabin in Tahoe while all this transpired. Gerry also happens to be a dentist and gave her some great advice on how to deal with the ulcers. It was nice to consult with him on the issue at hand and I was grateful for his expertise. Thank you Gerry!

Saturday night was rough, but Sunday morning brought relief and a little perkier Kristin. Unfortunately it was short lived. As I type, she is lying in the ER in Salt Lake with more fever and pain. I am guarded and hope for a better day for her tomorrow. They admitted her for the night to keep her hydrated and the pain under control. We will see what the night brings.

Comments

Lesliee--Is Kristen here on her own??? Can we go see her or help out in some way?
Hey Georgia, she is and they are holding her for the night for some hydration and pain management. It looks like she will go home tomorrow. thanks so much for the offer. I'll let you know if things change, but I hopeful that things will look brighter tomorrow. Here's to keeping our fingers crossed.
Amy Girl said…
Oh Leslie, I will be remembering Kristin (&you) in my prayers. Hugs!

Popular posts from this blog

The Beginning

UPDATE

GO GO SPECIAL K!